Brief History


The High Court at Allahabad was established in the year 1866. Need was felt for advocates for practicing in the High Court and the District Courts. The minimum requirement for an advocate was Barrister qualification from England or Bachelor of Laws degree after graduation from Calcutta University. As such teaching of laws was commenced in Muir Central College of Allahabad, affiliated to Calcutta University (established 1857), on December 31st, 1872 with 39 students in English section and 10 in Urdu section. When in 1887 Allahabad University was established as a teaching cum affiliating University, the Law Department also obtained a raised stature accordingly. Hon'ble Justice D. Straight was appointed the first President of the Law Department in 1890. By an order of the Governor in Council of United Provinces, the Department of Legal Studies became a separate single Department Faculty of the University along with the Faculties of Arts, Science and Commerce in the Muir College campus of the University. Under the Indian Universities Act of 1904, the posts of Professor, Reader and Lecturer were recognized for the University. The Law Department functioned in Muir College from 1872 onwards till the new building of immense architectural beauty was constructed for the Law Faculty around 1910, adjacent to Senate House on the northern side by the donations provided by the Oudh Bar Association. However, till 1921 the Law Department functioned with advocates as part-time teachers holding all the three cadres. In 1921, when the University was re-organize as a residential University by an Act of United Province of British India Professor Weir, a distinguished jurist became the first head of the Law Department. In 1936 two full time posts of Reader were created on which Prof. K.K. Bhattacharya, LL.M. (London) and Prof. K.R.R Sastri, ML (Madras) were appointed. Prof. K.K. Bhattacharya became first full time Professor in Law Department in 1949.

Further, Law Department was shifted to the new building which was constructed by UGC grants in the Chatham Lines Campus of which Hon'ble Mr. A.K. Sen, the then Law Minister of India, had laid the foundation stone in 1965. The transfer of Law Department to the new building was completed in early 1980s.

 

© All Rights Reserved 2011. B.A.LL.B.(Hons.) : Five Year Integrated Course, Faculty of Law, University of Allahabad